An easy overnight Bircher recipe, perfect for the warmer months.
This recipe is a great combination of plant based protein, essential fats and complex carbohydrates which are slowly digested keeping you fuller for longer. The soaking of the ingredients also means it is much easier to digest helping to increase nutrient absorption. Much better than a store brought cereal for breakfast which is often full of added sugar and refined carbohydrates with minimal nutrients. Adding fruit to this dish also increase the amount of fibre included in your breakfast.
I often keep the base of this recipe the same (i.e buckwheat flakes, quinoa flakes, cinnamon, vanilla extract/powder, almond milk, coconut yoghurt) and often change out the rest of the ingredients with alternative nuts, seeds and fruit.
The recipe below is for one serving but you can make a bigger batch so you have a few breakfast sorted in advance.
This breakfast will keep you feeling full and energised for the day ahead.
I hope you enjoy it!
- 1/4c Buckwheat flakes and/or quinoa flakes (you can also include oats if you don’t have to make this Gluten Free)
- 1T Shredded coconut
- 1t pumpkin seeds
- 1t Sunflower seeds
- 1T cashew nuts
- 1t Goji Berries (or rainsens/currants etc)
- 1/4 t cinammon
- 1/4 t raw cacao powder
- 1x Date (chopped) or i.e. dried blueberries or additional Goji Berries
- 1/4c Coconut Yoghurt
- 1/4 Almond Milk (or an alternative plant based milk)
- 1/4 t Pure Vanilla Extract (or 1/8 t vanilla powder)
- 1/4 apple grated (or pear) – optional
- Fresh Fruit & additional Shredded Coconut
- Combine all ingredients together
- Leave overnight to soak (alternatively you can also make this an hour before but it is better to leave overnight).
- Serve with fresh fruit and top with Shredded Coconut