As many of you will know from previous posts, I am now hooked on Essential Oils. I’m sure you have noticed the “new hype” of essential oils and now you are wondering what all the fuss is about and if they actually work.
These gorgeous oils have changed our lives for the better. I love always having a natural solution to reach for when we have any health concerns. I believe it is so important to be able to use natural alternatives on your loved ones and in particular the little ones. Not only have we replaced our medicine cabinet with these oils, I now make my own cleaning and beauty products and use these oils to enhance the kitchen. It really is simple! But for those not keen on DIY there are also many pre-made health, cleaning and beauty products that you can buy which are made from these precious oils.
If you haven’t been able to come along to one of my workshops or you would just like to know more about these oils, I thought I would write a post so you can have a brief introduction to these natural medicinal solutions that can balance your body, mind & soul. And so you too can learn what all the hype is about. As I mentioned, not only can they benefit your health, they can also replace synthetic beauty & cleaning products around the home.
So, what exactly are essential oils?
In a nut shell, essential oils are the volatile aromatic compounds found in the flowers, leaves, stems, roots, seeds, bark and other parts of plants from which they are extracted. Essentially we are extracting the immune system or defence mechanism (i.e. fighting threats such as mould, fungus, bacteria, viruses) of the plants to keep it in optimal health. We can extract and use these oils to receive similar benefits.
Which Oils do I choose?
Not all essential oils can be treated equally – this is so important!! They are not all of high quality, pure, safe or grown sustainably. There is actually no global governing body when it comes to essential oils and labels like “pure” or “organic” actually don’t mean anything. In fact in NZ, an oil only has to contain around 14-18% pure essential oil to be labelled “pure” which seems outrageous.
doTERRA is a wonderful company that produces a diverse range of pure, high quality Essential Oils that you can use for you and your families wellbeing. And I love that doTERRA is a brand that I completely trust and that I am comfortable using these on the whole family.
A few reason why I choose doTERRA essential oils:
- doTERRA sources the oils from over 40 countries (more than half are considered developing countries) around the world where the plant thrives or grows indigenously.
- doTERRA use third party testers for every batch of oils and publish the results online. Each batch goes through very rigorous testing.
- They are committed to improving the conditions for those people who produce the oils making a positive difference in the lives of the Farmers, Harvesters and Distillers involved in the oil production.
- Humanitarian work is one of doTERRA’s core values and the company is very transparent about their entire process.
I really love the fact that doTERRA oils are so safe to use on your whole family and they are also one of the most ethical companies I know.
How can I use Essential Oils?
There are three ways you can use these oils, aromatically, topically and as a food additive.
- Aromatically: diffuse, inhale directly from the bottle, inhale a drop in your hand
- Topically: Dilute with a carrier oil and use oils on your skin. Use in a localised way – where you have discomfort ie muscle/joint tension, digestive support or in a systemic way where you can rub on the soles of your feet and the essential oil will be absorbed through the skin and into the bloodstream and carried to wherever it is needed (ie again, this could also be digestive discomfort).
- Food Additive: take a drop in sparkling water or tea, add to recipes i.e. add lemon oil to any recipe that calls for lemon juice/zest.
There are many, many ways that you can incorporate these oils into your daily life, and once you get started you will wonder how you ever lived without them. I am constantly learning how to further apply these to my daily life through topical, aromatic and internal use. Not only do I use these on a day-to-day basis but my husband and daughter also realise the benefits of these oils and are using them more and more.
In our home we use these oils for anxious feelings, sleep support, energy, mood, digestive support, immune support, respiratory support (especially in the winter months), hormonal support, when anxious feelings or feelings of overwhelm arive, support for skin, muscular/joint support, head tension, natural home care, add to my beauty products – just to name a few.
Our first aid cabinet is packed with essential oil products as is our medicine cabinet. I have a shelf for essential oils in the kitchen, beside my bed (as well as the kids), in my nappy bag – so I can always reach for them whenever I need. I really would be lost without these amazing oils.
Where do I start?
The top 10 Essential oils are a great foundation kit and can be used to support the family in over 80% of health concerns around the home. They are also much cheaper than over the counter medicines, and a little really does go a long way. These oils are what most people start with (what I started with when I began my oil journey). See below for an overview of these top selling oils.
A few more tips on these beautiful oils. Uses include but are not limited to:
- Peppermint – Invigorating to the senses promoting an uplifted cheery feeling – great to reach for first thing in the morning or during the mid afternoon slump. Great in chocolate – see my Peppermint bark recipe
- Ice Blue – soothing and calming blend to support you when you experience muscle/joint discomfort. A very popular oil for the men!
- Lemon – cleansing oil both for you and your environment. Cleansing and detoxifying. I start my day with a lemon drop in my water. Great to include in recipes that call for lemon juice/zest. It also has a very uplifting scent and is great to use as a natural cleaner throughout the home.
- Easy Air – “Nature’s Vicks.” Our clear and calm blend. Great to support the body when respiratory concerns arise – to feel clear and calm when breathing. This blend ensure we are equipped for environmental and seasonal threats. We use this a lot in the winter months. Encourages deep breathing and in turn supports you calms the senses. Also great to support those noisy sleepers 😉
- Digestzen – supporting digestive harmony promoting a feeling of satisfaction after eating. We get so many testimonials on this blend.
- On Guard – Protective blend both for us and also our environment. Great to use in cleaning products. I also use this oil to make my own hand sanitiser and toy cleaner. Ensures we are equipped for environmental and seasonal threats. I include a drop in my turmeric latte or porridge . Also great in chocolate!
- Oregano – This herb contains anti-bacterial properties. Can use in cleaning – great for the bathroom. And can use in place of dried oregano in i.e. spaghetti sauce or pizza sauce
- Tea Tree – Best known for its cleansing properties – cleansing but gentle on skin. It can be used to cleanse and clarify the skin & nails and to support a healthy looking complexion. Great to include in cleaning spray recipes.
- Lavender – another very popular oil and so different to the lavender that you may be used to or grew up with. It has such a beautiful sweet, subtle, feminine aroma. Offers soothing and calming properties for both the nervous system and our skin. Has a calming aroma promoting relaxed feelings. Great to use before a peaceful sleep
- Frankincense – the king of oils. Loves your skin and every cell in your body. Supports skin imperfections. Also Great for our mind – when inhaled or diffused, Frankincense promotes feelings of peace, relaxation, satisfaction, and overall spiritual & emotional wellness.
And this is only a small number of the oils that are available to you. There are specific oils to support mood and emotions (e.g. joyful and uplifting blends), metabolic blends to support you with weight management, soothing blends to support tension, restful blends, a kids collection, supplements, beauty, cleaning to name a few.
Keen to learn more or ready to get started?
Once you take a smell of these gorgeous oils, I’m sure you will also fall in love with the best oils you’ve ever smelt. If you are in Akld, I’d love for you to come and join me at a workshop or for a one-on-one session. If you are out of town I can jump on a video call with you or we often travel round the country hosting classes so I can let you know when we have another workshop closer to you. If you are not in NZ, I can also video call.
I love sharing these gorgeous oils by hosting classes and love meeting with people to educate everyone on the amazing benefits of these beautiful “gifts of the earth” and their hundreds of therapeutic applications. My mission is to empower women and demonstrate that we have choices when it comes to our families health. I love inspiring wellness in the world through using these simple natural solutions.
If you’re ready to get started straight away, click here for simple instructions about how you can incorporate these beautiful “gifts of the earth” into your daily lives.
If you do decide to get started (and I really hope you do), you will receive ongoing support from me and have the option of joining our amazing oily community of lovely ladies. I will help you to use your oils to support your families health concerns providing blends/recipes moving forward.
Please contact me here via email or feel free to call me on +64 27 645 7500. I would love to chat more with you and how we can use essential oils to support your health as well as your families.